Search This Blog

Sunday 10 March 2013

SQL Catalog


SQL Catalog

Next, I needed to gain some detailed information about what they were doing and how they were doing it.  Once I had done this, then I could look for patterns and ultimately recommend an aggregation strategy (more on that later).  To do this I cataloged each one using their generated SQL from the OBI Query log.  The result of this helped me to understand the following:
  1. Tables used
  2. Joins
  3. Which tables had filters and selects
  4. Based on the above, determine each report’s granularity
  5. Baseline each report’s performance to measure improvement.
Understanding the grain was the ultimate goal of this exercise – it will become useful for identifying aggregate candidates later on.  Note I was not interested in the metric calculations or other report logic – this is more about tables than fields.  Complex logic will be dealt with later after the bases are covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment